[werkflow-user] Interaction between app and process engine
Kristofer Eriksson
2003-11-28 09:38:14 UTC
I am currently in the start up phase of evaluating werkflow (and blissed),
maybe to use one of them in a upcoming development project. I am very
impressed so far.

Below a question regarding my testing of werkflow.

What I haven't been able to work out is how communication beween my
application i.e. a java class initiating a werkflow process, and the process
itself works. What I mean is for example how you set an output attribute
value in the process and catch it in the initializing code, if possible, or
somehow get a result/status back?

Is there any examples available. Would it be possible for anyone to give me
a hint. I have played around but not manage to get the grips of that.

Best regards

/Kristofer Eriksson
Jason van Zyl
2003-11-28 14:06:22 UTC
Post by Kristofer Eriksson
I am currently in the start up phase of evaluating werkflow (and blissed),
maybe to use one of them in a upcoming development project. I am very
impressed so far.
Below a question regarding my testing of werkflow.
What I haven't been able to work out is how communication beween my
application i.e. a java class initiating a werkflow process, and the process
itself works. What I mean is for example how you set an output attribute
value in the process and catch it in the initializing code, if possible, or
somehow get a result/status back?
Is there any examples available. Would it be possible for anyone to give me
a hint. I have played around but not manage to get the grips of that.
Look at the action manager test for an example of how to do this:

http://cvs.codehaus.org/viewcvs.cgi/werkflow/werkflow-core/src/java/test/org/codehaus/werkflow/initiator/message/?root=codehaus

In my application using Werkflow I have an activiy manager that accepts
messages from the application that I feed into werkflow. Myself, this is
the best way I have found to integrate werkflow with an application.

The test is fairly simple but I would suggest starting there. Just fire
more questions about the example if you find it suites your needs.

Many folks here are also harnessing the power of drools and combining it
with werkflow. They are a great combination. Blissed is a good little
state machine framework but ultimately for workflow you will want
something petri-net based so werkflow is probably the wisest choice.
Post by Kristofer Eriksson
Best regards
/Kristofer Eriksson
jvz.