[werkflow-user] Business Transaction Management
w***@poczta.onet.pl
2003-10-10 03:09:27 UTC
Hello,

A quick question before I dig deeper: are you guys planning to (or already
did) implement some sort of generic business transaction management?

By business transaction management, I mean a solution that allows for
managing non-ACID long-running transactions  (example of protocol: the
WS-Transactions). That would encompass -- for example -- generating
compensatory transaction requests to the workflow-integrated applications
automatically and in a generic fashion (rather than generating compensatory
transactions in an ad-hoc fashion by an exception path in the workflow).

Thx -- Greg
Mark H. Wilkinson
2003-10-10 08:02:19 UTC
A quick question before I dig deeper: are you guys planning to (or
already did) implement some sort of generic business transaction
management?
It's certainly something that I'd like to have in there, but werkflow
doesn't do it at the moment. I'm expecting transaction management to
become more important in the next year or two, so I'd be interested in
working on it.
By business transaction management, I mean a solution that allows for
managing non-ACID long-running transactions (example of protocol: the
WS-Transactions). That would encompass -- for example -- generating
compensatory transaction requests to the workflow-integrated
applications automatically and in a generic fashion (rather than
generating compensatory transactions in an ad-hoc fashion by an
exception path in the workflow).
Hmm; interesting. I'd always thought of the compensatory actions being
things that needed to be manually built (in an exception path as you
describe). Under what circumstances is it possible to automatically
generate the compensating actions? Are you thinking of distributed
rollback across participants in a two-phase commit protocol, or across
more long lived transactions? What about non-transactional participants?
I've read around the web-services transactioning space but don't know
what's possible when you get down to details.

-Mark.