Getting involved in werkflow
Edgar González
2003-05-22 22:41:18 UTC
Hello,

I would like to get involved in the werkflow project (development or docs), because I need to integrate a workflow engine in several web applications.

My web applications are based on Turbine 2.2 + Torque 3.0

The cvs change log shows a recent lot of work, unless the last update for the project site was in 07 March 2003 and the most recent version available in http://ibiblio.org/maven is 04-Feb-2003.

- what is the project status?
- which is the roadmap?

Thanks

Edgar
David Wynter
2003-05-23 08:14:40 UTC
Hi Edgar,

I too have to do something like this, but must migrate from T2.1 first. So I
have had a look to see where werkflow is most actively being used. That is
as a part of Plexus, I think the brain child of Jason Van Zyl. Now the point
of this is that Plexus uses Summit which is essentially a parallel to
Turbine. Have a look at
http://cvs.werken.com/viewcvs.cgi/plexus-components/?cvsroot=plexus Note
that werkflow is already a plexus component, also that all our familiar
friends (rundata, pull, resolver, parser, parameter, module) are all under
Summit. Also note that under
http://cvs.werken.com/viewcvs.cgi/fulcrum/?cvsroot=plexus the db package is
actually a Avalon wrapper for Torque, because the Torque developers haven't
got there yet. This is very important to me as I have a lot of investment in
using Torque. Plexus components are all Avalonised so have very clean
service lifecycle management, actually understandable now.

So my conclusion is that I should save myself a lot of work in the long run
by switching directly to Plexus and I get 2 things, werkflow already
integrated and a service infrastructure I can actually understand, and
possibly a bunch of stuff I don't even know yet. Note also that it provides
support for the much better Quartz scheduler and Axis amongst other things.

I suppose the big question is how 'ready' is it for consumption by mere
mortals ;-) I feel the risk is mitigated by the fact it is being used by
Zenplex in a production system (I think).

rgds,

David

Edgar
Edgar González
2003-05-23 15:20:45 UTC
Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your comments.

I take a look at werkflow now, because I'm using OpenSymphony's workflow, but I'm very disappointed with it (nice ideas, but unclear RoadMap, no patrons, not OO, etc) :-(

And I know the good work make it by Jason and Bob. :-)

In addition, I'm exploring to move my applications from Turbine 2.2 to Plexus+Summit, in order to be Avalonised.

regards,